Family Farms Try to Raise a New Cash Cow: Solar Power, WIRED, February 22, 2020
Western Innovator: In Search of Sustainability, Capital Press, Dec 5, 2019
Farmland Is Also Optimal for Solar Power, Scientific American, Sept 12, 2019
Farming under solar panels saves water and creates energy, Futurity, Sept 6, 2019
Installing solar panels on agricultural lands maximizes their efficiency, Science Daily, August 8, 2019
OSU study: Solar panels on ag lands boost efficiency, KTVZ, Aug 7, 2019
Oregon State Study: Solar PV Arrays Could Boost Plant Productivity, Solar Industry, November 12, 2018.
- Neglected pastures thrive under solar panels, Anthropocene, November 8, 2018.
Study shows crops, forage may benefit from solar panel shade, Capital Press, November 5, 2018.
OSU solar panels have grazers made in the shade, KTVZ.com, November 2, 2018.
- Abatzoglou, J. T., Rupp, D. E., O’Neill, L. W. & Sadegh, M. Compound extremes drive the western Oregon wildfires of September 2020. Geophysical Research Letters, e2021GL092520. https://doi.org/10.1029/2021GL092520
- Adeh, E. H., Good, S. P., Calaf, M., & Higgins, C. W. 2019. Solar pv power potential is greatest over croplands. Scientific Reports, 9(1), 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-47803-3
- Amos AL. 2014. Developing the law of the river: The integration of law and policy into hydrologic and socio-economic modeling efforts in the Willamette River Basin. The Kansas Law Review. 62:48. https://ssrn.com/abstract=2805206
- Andrew, A. C., Higgins, C. W., Smallman, M. A., Graham, M. & Ates, S. (2021). Herbage Yield, Lamb Growth and Foraging Behavior in Agrivoltaic Production System. Front. Sustain. Food Syst. 5, https://doi.org/10.3389/fsufs.2021.659175
- Cuppari, R.I., Higgins, C.H., Characklis, G.W., 2021. Agrivoltaics and weather risk: A diversification strategy for landowners. Applied Energy, 291, 116809. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2021.116809
- Hassanpour Adeh E, Selker JS, Higgins C, 2018. Remarkable agrivoltaic influence on soil moisture, micrometeorology and water-use efficiency. PLOS One. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0203256
Hill, J., Kern, J., Rupp, D.E., Voisin, N., Characklis, G., 2021. The Effects of Climate Change on Interregional Electricity Market Dynamics on the U.S. West Coast. Earth's Future. https://doi.org/10.1029/2021EF002400
- Hulse D, Branscomb A, Enright C, Johnson B, Evers B, Bolte J, Ager A. 2016. Anticipating surprise: Using agent-based alternative futures simulation modeling to identify and map surprising fires in the Willamette Valley, Oregon USA. Landscape and Urban Planning. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2016.05.012
- Gleason KE, Nolin AW. 2016. Charred forests accelerate snow albedo decay: parameterizing the post-fire radiative forcing on snow for three years following fire. Hydrological Processes. 30(21):3855–3870. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.10897
- Graham, M., Ates, S., Melathopoulos, A.P., Moldenke, A.R., DeBano, S.J., Best, L.R., Higgins, C.H. (2021). Partial shading by solar panels delays bloom, increases floral abundance during the late‐season for pollinators in a dryland, agrivoltaic ecosystem. Scientific Reports, 11, 7452. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-86756-4
- Jaeger WK, Amos AL, Bigelow DP, Chang H, Conklin DR, Haggerty R, Langpap C, Moore KM, Mote PW, Nolin AW et al.. 2017. Finding water scarcity amid abundance using human–natural system models. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1706847114
- Kern, JD, Patino-Echeverri, D, Characklis, GW. 2014. An Integrated Reservoir-Power System Model for Evaluating the Impact of Wind Power Integration on Hydropower Resources. Renewable Energy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.06.014.
- Rupp, D. E., Chegwidden, O. S., Nijssen, B. & Clark, M. P. Changing river network synchrony modulates projected increases in high flows. Water Resources Research, e2020WR028713. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020WR028713
- Su, Y., Kern, J., Denaro, S., Hill, J., Reed, P., Sun, Y., Cohen, J., Characklis, G. 2020. An open source model for quantifying risks in bulk electric power systems from spatially and temporally correlated hydrometeorological processes. Environmental Modelling and Software. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2020.104667
- Turner DP, Conklin DR, Vache KB, Schwartz C, Nolin AW, Chang H, Watson E, Bolte JP. 2016. Assessing mechanisms of climate change impact on the upland forest water balance of the Willamette River Basin, Oregon. Ecohydrology. https://doi.org/10.1002/eco.1776